On the occasion of National ICT Day-2021, the government’s most-anticipated app was unveiled today. The Prime Minister, KP Sharma Oli, officiated at the official launch of the Nagarik App, which was also attended by Minister of Communication and Information Technology, Parbat Gurung, and other dignitaries.
The government released the beta version of the ‘Nagarik App’ in January 2021, with the tagline “Government Service at Your Fingertips,” stating that it will offer government services to people hand in hand. Since then, it had been in the testing stage. It is now possible for all Nepalese people to take advantage of almost all government services. Since it was created in accordance with the vision of the Digital Nepal Framework-2015, this app is expected to become a strong foundation in making Nepal a digital economy.
What Is Nagarik App and What Does It Do?
As the name implies, this app is designed specifically for Nepalese people, allowing them to store both governmental and personal documents in the app, eliminating the need to bring official documents with them any time they visit a government office or unit.
A Massive User Database
The Nagarik App combines the digital archives of identity documents held by major government agencies. It integrates the Home Ministry’s database record of citizenship for 21.5 million Nepalese, the Election Commission’s voter’s ID for 15.5 million people, and the Department of Passports’ more than 6.5 million passport documents to verify citizens’ digital identities.
System that is integrated
This app is superior to the various mobile apps available for various services. This will eliminate the need to download separate applications for each service you use. This app’s integrated system connects all forms of government agencies, allowing you to get one-stop service for the following:
- Citizens can obtain a PAN number by using this app to apply for a PAN card.
- Cell phones may also provide information on taxes paid to the government.
- Citizenship, passports, educational certificates, and voter identification cards can all be issued right away.
- The sum deposited in the accounts of the citizen investment fund, provident fund, and social security fund, as well as loan information, can be accessed.
- You may file a complaint with the government.
- Similarly, it is clear that the government and public bodies have listened to and answered citizens’ complaints.
- Through this app, you can get faceless and paperless services while also saving time and taking advantage of services on public holidays.
- This software can also be used to obtain a police report.
Using QR codes to open a bank account
In the growth of the country’s fintech market, there will be a digital revolution.
For the first time in the world, a QR code from a government app can be used to open a bank account. Similarly, the Nagarik app’s QR code will enable us to verify our KYC. The Nagarik app’s API is accessible to banks, so when we use the QR code, our data is directly connected to the bank, making auto-verification of our KYC easier when opening a bank account. For the time being, Siddhartha Bank Limited and Nepal Bank Limited provide this service in the Nagarik App.
What are the benefits of having Nagarik App in your phone?
We’ve all seen the frustration of having to bring all of our paperwork with us while visiting a government office. This headache can be avoided by downloading the Nagarik app, which allows you to store digital copies of your citizenship ID, passport, voter’s card, PAN card, driver’s license, insurance, academic certificates, and other financial identity documents. They can be digitally checked in every government agency, so you don’t have to show them the required documentation every time.
This app saves the following documents that are typically expected to be presented in government offices or service centers:
- Passport Document/Citizenship ID/ID Voter’s
- a driver’s license
- Certificates of Achievement
- PAN Card (Personal Identification Number)
- Employee Provident Fund Identification Number
- Documents from the Social Security Administration
- Report from the cops
- Card for Health Insurance
From its end, the government is working to integrate any possible digital service.
The government’s primary goal in launching this app is to:
- Citizens’ time and effort in carrying hard copies of required documents
- To save money on sending necessary documents on a regular basis since they are already stored in the databases of the relevant offices
- To minimize corruption by increasing accountability in government operations.
The following are some of the ways that this software will assist you:
- Since you must enter a unique code each time you login, it has a high level of protection and authentication.
- Your records are automatically checked after you register with all of the relevant information.
- You can choose to use government services with just a single click.
- It’s easier to open a bank account with a touch-free QR code than it is to fill out a KYC form at the bank.
- The first version of this app will only include governmental services, but non-governmental services will be added shortly.
- Through the grievances site, people can also file complaints about government services. Good day, Sarkar.
- If an error is discovered in a text, it may be requested to be checked.
- This app now allows you to pay your vehicle’s taxes and renewal fees online.
- You can check your land registration certificate, print it, and pay land registration taxes using a special function called “Mero Kitta.”
- It also makes paying taxes to the local government a lot simpler.
- This software may be used to register for Public Service Commission (Lok Sewa) tests, driver’s licenses, SIM card purchases, and other governmental services.
- The main benefit is that it will prevent proxy users from misusing your information. These benefits will undoubtedly reduce governmental office bookkeeping and documentation costs because all required data are digitally stored in the Nagarik App.
Does this imply that all governmental units have access to our sensitive documents?
Not at all. The security protocol of the Nagarik App has been maintained in such a way that the service rendering unit cannot take away a copy of your information during verification. When you scan the QR code, it will ask for your permission to give the selected departments access to your information. It means you have control over who you share your data with. As a result, you may be certain that your sensitive information will not be misused.
Now that you’ve learned about the various benefits of using the Nagarik App, let’s look at how to check your Nagarik App ID.
Step 1: Install the Nagarik App on your mobile device.
Step 2: Open it up and choose the language you want to use.
Step 3: Check your phone number with a 6-digit token number.
Step 4: Use your Citizenship ID, Voter’s ID, or Passport to verify your identity.
Step 5: After your document has been checked, you can add additional documents such as academic credentials, photos, and email addresses.
The country’s leadership has been optimistic about the need for a digital transition for economic growth. With the launch of the Nagarik App, it is now possible to connect governmental services into a single integrated app framework, making it easier for people to access governmental services from any government unit. It will save both service providers and service recipients time, money, and effort. Nagarik App is expected to play a significant role in making government services more accessible than ever before, dispelling the myth that “government services are slow as hell.” And, with the addition of the possibility of opening bank accounts using QR codes, it has shown a genuine desire for technical advancement in the pursuit of a better future.
Have you used the Nagarik App yet? Which aspect of it did you enjoy the most? We hope you can take the time to respond.